Monday, November 5, 2007

Museum Assignment - April Hatfield














The painting I decided to write about was La Pointe de La Hève at Low Tide by Claude Monet around 1865. I found this painting at the Kimball Art Museum. I chose this painting because of way it was painted. The portrait had many different things in it that I can describe. One of those is the light that is used in the picture. Another one is the colors that the artist used. Monet used emphasis in the paint by pulling the viewer’s eye to certain elements. The media and techniques that the he used while painting the portrait, are the type of paint that he used.
Monet used light in the portrait by adding clouds and some sunlight. I believe that the lighting in the painting was implied. The painting does not have a real source of lighting. The sun is behind the clouds but there is a hole in the clouds that let's some light thru. From the low lighting the objects in the painting have shadows. For instance, the people on the horses have a shadow behind them. Also the rocks that are on the ground have shadowing that would imply low lighting created by the lack of sun. The lighting also gives the painting a dark shade.
The artist used many different colors in the portrait. Monet used mainly earth tones. He used earth tones in the beach and the hill range in the background. He also used light colors. Monet used white and light beige on the water and beach. He also used light and dark blues to depict the sky and the clouds.
Monet used several different objects to pull the viewers eye to parts of the painting. In the foreground of the painting he used people on horseback. He also used a boat on the beach to draw the viewer’s eye to the foreground. Monet used a ship in the horizon of the painting. In the mid ground he used rocks in the water to draw the person’s eye to the middle of the painting.
Monet used oil on canvas to paint the portrait. Due to this the painting is two-dimensional. Oil is not a fast drying type of paint. According to what I have read it could take a day or up to two weeks to dry. This gave Monet time to make changes to the portrait. This also gave Monet the opportunity to make long strokes with his paintbrush. Since he used oil in this painting he gave the painting a shiny look. Monet was able to give the painting a lot of texture by clumping up the oil paint is areas that he wanted to stand out. I believe that the painting has faded a little over time due to the oils he used to make the painting. This painting gave me a sense of calm and peace. I felt like I was standing on the beach looking at the ocean. Going to the Kimball Art Museum was a new experience for me and I was a little surprised how much I enjoyed it. I am sure that I will be visiting it again in the future.

No comments: