Monday, November 5, 2007

Museum Assignment - Tim Gaston











For my museum visit assignment, I chose to go to the Dallas Museum of Art in downtown Dallas. I browsed throughout the various galleries trying to find just the right work of art for me to view. In one of the galleries, I caught a glimpse of “Apollo’s Enchantment” by Benjamin West (1735-1820). The first thing that caught my eye was that despite the dim lighting in this area of the museum, this painting seemed to glow brightly. It is a beautiful depiction of the god Apollo “enchanting” the pantheon of Greek gods and muses with his playing of his lyre. The gods and muses are all aligned around Apollo in a celestial circle. The circle almost seems to be a rainbow cast from the brilliant sun image in the center adjacent to Apollo (god of sun) in the center of the circle. Besides admiring the beauty of the piece, I found myself wondering who each of the persons pictures around Apollo were and what each were thinking and feeling as they listened to the beautiful music. At the top, I would assume this figure to be Zeus, father of Apollo (Apollo is looking up to him), but the rest I could not say. I must say that I had dreaded this assignment since I have only been to an art museum once in my life – when, at age six, my mother dragged me with her to the Kimball Museum in Fort Worth. Having gone, I definitely plan on going again and spending a good portion of the afternoon browsing and enjoying. I will definitely spend more time studying this particular painting as well.

Analysis:

Apollo’s Enchantment by Benjamin West, 1807 – Oil on Canvas

West has introduced the use of circular lines in this work by creating a rainbow effect created by the sun image next to and almost part of Apollo in the center. Surrounding him are the Greek gods and muses enjoying his playing of the Lyre. Other areas where lines have been used are in the orientation and gestures of several of the subjects. Apollo himself is looking up at Zeus. The nymph at the bottom has her hands outstretched to Apollo.

The images of the figures around Apollo have been crafted in various sizes – the largest and most vivid are to the lower right. This gives the painting depth and perspective almost as if the two-dimensional painting is actually three-dimensional.

As stated before, the image of light in this work is magnificent. I find it difficult to explain in words. The light emphasizes the depth of the piece adding to its feeling of three dimensionality. The colors are that which you would see in late evening after a thunderstorm perhaps. This gives the feeling of a cool, misty atmosphere in which to lounge and enjoy good company and good music.

The work is somewhat asymmetrical and unbalanced in that there is a feeling of added weight or fullness to the right of the painting. This unbalance is created by both the added light on this side as well as additional, larger images.

The focal point of this piece is definitely Apollo and his Lyre. The sun image draws you eyes immediately to the center of the painting where he plays.
The rhythm is created in the circular gathering of the group. This suggests a sort of unity of the gods in their joining together to enjoy each other’s company, a beautiful evening and a good song.

No comments: